Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Metalwork - Rusty Weather Vane - Remove, Then Prevent Rust

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:02:42 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

prep:
https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks...6bff9736a6176a

I have a number of those items. I'd be worried about scratching the surface
or burnishing some areas and leaving different colored spots.

protect:
https://www.amazon.com/Epoxy-Clear-C...oxy+Clear+Coat

That list of over 1000 items would need to be narrowed down to epoxy that is
made to handle all sorts of weather, temps from below 0 to over 100, UV safe, etc.