Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Metalwork - Rusty Weather Vane - Remove, Then Prevent Rust

On Mon, 25 May 2020 08:47:20 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 5/25/2020 8:21 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2020 23:58:26 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Naval jelly? (AKA Phosphoric Acid (AKA Coke)) '
Then coat with clear something or other (at least every year or two).

Boeshield?

It won't remove rust. Though they say their rust remover will, sorta,
but not an better than steel wool and phosphoric acid. Boeshield does
a good job of covering things like table saw tables (I use it) but I
sure wouldn't use it on an exterior application like a weathervane.
This needs to be something intended for exterior use (UV exposure, and
all).