Default Refrigerator freezer too warm; runs constantly.

Hello - I have spent several hours using Google and reading many
postings about my refrigerator dilemma that is in the subject line. I
have replaced the Defrost Timer and after letting it run for 4 days
while we were out of town the freezer reached 12 degrees. We opened the
door(s) a couple of times and now the freezer temp is staying at 17
degrees (for several hours during which time the doors have not been
opened). Refrigerator compartment is staying at 38 degrees. (Cold
Control is set at 4 in the Freezer and 2 in the Refrigerator.)
This all started when we had a flickering power outage a couple of weeks
ago. We noticed that Ice Cream was very soft in our 8 year old Amana
19.7 CF bottom freezer.
I am going to remove the wall in the freezer compartment and check the
Defrost Thermostat. The Defrost timer was defective per ohm meter test,
but replacing it did not solve the problem.

We used to hear popping and gurgling sounds when the refer operated. We
no longer hear these sounds. I am also, then going to check this area.
(Condenser, and Deepfreeze fan.)

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

TIA