Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Maching rounded edge on planks

On 24/05/2020 13:31, wrote:
On Saturday, 23 May 2020 22:09:44 UTC+1, David wrote:
On Saturday, 23 May 2020 09:04:01 UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, 22 May 2020 15:15:48 UTC+1, David wrote:
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 22:14:53 UTC+1, Bazza wrote:

I'm looking to renovate a couple of garden benches by
replacing the slats. These are wide benches so the standard
kits of slats are not long enough.

I have some hardwood planks that are suitable but would need
to have the edges rounded.

I can't believe nobody else has suggested it - Angle Grinder!
In this case with a sanding disk. I find this combination a
much-underrated woodworking tool, for outdoor woodwork at any
rate.

Very useful, but entirely the wrong tool for rounding board
edges. Unless you really don't give a dry brown thing how they
look.

NT

I've had some very good results. But I quite understand if you
don't want to try it.

I'm not the OP. Perhaps the OP could get a good result with an ag &
sanding disc, but I've enough experience of disc sanding & ags to
think the odds of that low.

As with any aggressive sander - light pressure and keep moving at a
constant speed. For bench slats I would expect to get plenty good enough
results with an AG if that was what I had to use.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |