Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Maching rounded edge on planks

On 24 May 2020 at 12:29:12 BST, "John Rumm"
wrote:

On 24/05/2020 06:37, RJH wrote:
On 22 May 2020 at 21:36:21 BST, "John Rumm"
wrote:

On 22/05/2020 15:15, David wrote:
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 22:14:53 UTC+1, Bazza wrote:
I'm looking to renovate a couple of garden benches by replacing the
slats. These are wide benches so the standard kits of slats are not
long enough.

I have some hardwood planks that are suitable but would need to
have the edges rounded.

I can't believe nobody else has suggested it - Angle Grinder! In
this case with a sanding disk. I find this combination a
much-underrated woodworking tool, for outdoor woodwork at any rate.

Those poly disc paint removal discs are a revelation - really very good
for stripping paint surprisingly gently - especially when its got to the
"starting to flake, and over painting is not going to be an option" stage.

I've some masonry paint to remove - any disc brand recommendation?

I think the first ones I tried were from toolstation, and they were
surprisingly good - but they don't stock those particular ones any more.

These look similar though:

https://www.toolstation.com/abracs-p...tr=poly%20disc

or

https://www.screwfix.com/p/non-woven...el-115mm/83915

Note that I have only used them on wood and steel, where they worked and
lasted well.

You may find that you get a high wear rate on masonry. A wire wheel cup
brush might be better for that. (Various reviews also caution against
use on metal with sharp edges).

Grand, thanks.

The surface is a combination of fairly well stuck masonry paint, and on top a
thin coat of what looks like emulsion (it obviously isn't though, maybe) that
scrapes off easily - almost with a fingernail. There's also about 20% of the
surface that's brick - plain weathering has taken all the paint off.

So I'm going to try a variety of tools/methods

--
Cheers, Rob