Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice about painting

On Friday, 22 May 2020 10:37:35 UTC+1, Scott wrote:

I have noticed some of the paint on the outside of my window frames is
starting to blister. I remember when the windows were installed they
made a thing using about using microporous paint.

Does this mean I need to use microporous paint again?

If so, can I buy microporous primer, and is this needed?

'microporous' is an irrelevance.

Could or should I just rub it down a bit and use exterior paint?

remove anyhting loose with a scraper, rubbing alone won't get it all off. Then sand lightly.

Is water-based paint any good for outdoor use these days or should I
be looking for oil-based paint?

Oil based

Could I use the paint Network Rail used on the Forth Bridge :-)

Metals want hard paint. Wood wants flexible paint.

NT