Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with steel rods for heady duty bookcase.

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Yep. OTOH, It came in a box, I could put it together without
power tools ... "it worked".
And that is the basic question: how much time and effort is it
worth to DIY, vs buy one in an box vs buy one already made?
--
pyotr filipivich

For me the value of the product and the time and effort of finishing it
drive that decision, since I have the woodworking machinery. All the
Christmas present custom furniture that passes around the family is
hand-made. I bought a particle-board stereo cabinet but built a wall of
bookshelves from scratch (felled the tree...) and a light table for drafting
circuit boards, just before CAD made it obsolete.

Then I put a heavy HP spectrum analyzer atop the stereo cabinet and barely
caught it when the cabinet collapsed.