David Gunter

Default Bypass fan remote control unit?

We would like to buy a Hampton Bay fan but the one feature of the fan we
do not like is that it is a "remote controlled" fan, meaning that in
order to allow the fan to be operated from a wall-switch, the switch has
to be one of the rather unattractive Hampton Bay units and whose battery
needs to be replaced once a year or so. There is also the issue that the
remote unit inside the fan housing is "always on" and wasting
electricity. Yeah, it's a small amount but it still irks me.

What I want to know is if it is possible to remove the electronics for
the remote system and simply run the fan from a normal light/fan switch
combination. The box in the ceiling is already wired for a traditional
fan with separate hots for fan and light assembly.

Has anyone done this?

--
Replace spam with david in the email address if you want to send email
to me directly.