Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Tomato skin question

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 12:07:49 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Isn't the problem with that that locally everyone's crop ripens at the
same time, and no one's crop ripens at most other times?

There are basically two types of tomato plants for ripening or growing.
The determinate and indeterminate. The determinet is for the 'selling
farms'. Those grow , produce tomatoes all about the same time, and die.
That way the farmer can pick them all at one time and sell them to say
the companies that can or make ketchup out of them. The indeterminate
tomatoes keep on growing and producing fruit all season tuil the
fall/winter freeze kills them. There are some that are a cross between
those two and produce for several weeks and then die.

I try to start about 4 to 8 plants from seeds and keep them in the house
or garage so they will be about a foot or two tall by around the middle
of April which is our usually last frost date. Those are also some that
should produce fruit in about 65 days. Then I have some started later
of another variety that take about 75 days to produce fruit.

In a good year I can get tomatoes from about the last of June or first
week in July and have enough to eat to the frost in the fall kills them.

Problem here is the deer eat everything and I don't feel like going to the
trouble to build a fenced in garden, plus the lot here is shady. I did
grow some tomatoes a couple of years in one of the flower beds, but the
deer put an end to that.