Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_27_] Muggles[_27_] is offline

Default Tomato skin question

On 5/21/2020 5:36 PM, Snag wrote:
On 5/21/2020 1:02 PM, Frank wrote:
On 5/21/2020 1:16 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 11:47:16 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 21 May 2020 09:49:59 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Probably depends on what tomatoes you're talking about.Â* Here the
ones
we get in summer are different than winter ones.Â* The difference
used to
be much worse a few decades ago.Â* If anything, the winter ones,
which are
the firmer, tougher ones, have gotten better here.Â* The hothouse
grown
ones now are at least edible.Â* Those are typically shipped long
distances
and have to last long enough for the supermarket, so they are
developed
to have those characteristics.Â* Transportable, durable comes at the
cost of not being as soft and tasty.Â* They used to ship them
partially
green and then gas them at the supermarket or distributor to ripen
them,
IDK if they still do that.

Yes, they are made with tougher skin so they ship better.

The wife and I love good tomatoes.Â* We do not buy them out of the
stores
any more.Â* Just not worth eating.Â* Might as well paint a piece of
cardboard red and eat it.

We have been growing or trying to grow our own for many years now.Â* If
they do not produce for us, we get tomatoes from other farmers around
the area that grow eating and not selling tomatoes.

Isn't the problem with that that locally everyone's crop ripens at the
same time, and no one's crop ripens at most other times?
Â* We have several greenhouse tomato producers locally so pretty decent
tomatos are available year round without having to ship several
hundred miles, Not cheap, but available

IMHO tomatoes not vine ripened are bland.Â* Same is true of peaches.

Interesting comment that some are raised to harvest all at once.Â*
These are all vine ripened and processed for preserved products like
ketchup, sauce and canned.

I have been planting an heirloom and wonder if it does this now.

Â* I think if you research it you'll find there are 2 basic types of
tomatoes - determinate , which all ripen at once , and indeterminate
varieties that will keep producing as long as you keep picking and the
weather stays warm enough . Same with strawberries and probably others
that I don't know . We have Ozark Beauty berries , and I'm growing
Rutgers and Roma tomatoes , all 3 are indeterminate - also referred to
as ever-bearing sometimes .

I tried a cherry tomato called Rapunzel and compared it to Sweet 100's.
The Rapunzel's kept growing and blooming through the hottest part of
the summer and didn't stop. The Sweet 100's gave up when it got hot.

--
Maggie