Tony

Default water company dishonest?

In March our meter reading was over 1,350,000 gallons!!! The water
company did not charge for this month thankfully attributing it to a
glitch? (one hell of a glitch)

The next month, April, our usage showed to be over 43,000 gallons
(several times higher than it has ever been)! This time the water
company is billing us. After we complained a lot now the water meter
readings seem to be back to normal but before that they were sky high
even after April. (we log the meter readings several times a day) Now
the water company company insists we pay up. It is clear we have no
leaks (we'd notice this much water leaking and the meter stops when
our water usage stops.. we are on septic and the tank is half empty)

Ironically the previous owner of our house was a career water company
man, could have even installed this meter as far as I know). The
water company also refuses to replace the meter, grumble. The only
theory I can come up with is that the water company did something
secretly to "fix" the problem. Is this possible? What mechanically
could have the water company done to make these changes?