Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Tomato skin question

In article ,
says...

Probably depends on what tomatoes you're talking about. Here the ones
we get in summer are different than winter ones. The difference used to
be much worse a few decades ago. If anything, the winter ones, which are
the firmer, tougher ones, have gotten better here. The hothouse grown
ones now are at least edible. Those are typically shipped long distances
and have to last long enough for the supermarket, so they are developed
to have those characteristics. Transportable, durable comes at the
cost of not being as soft and tasty. They used to ship them partially
green and then gas them at the supermarket or distributor to ripen them,
IDK if they still do that.

Yes, they are made with tougher skin so they ship better.

The wife and I love good tomatoes. We do not buy them out of the stores
any more. Just not worth eating. Might as well paint a piece of
cardboard red and eat it.

We have been growing or trying to grow our own for many years now. If
they do not produce for us, we get tomatoes from other farmers around
the area that grow eating and not selling tomatoes.