Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Twin Headlamps

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 May 2020 16:46:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
I also rigged up a relay to disengage the fog light when the ignition
was off, since it seemed beyond the wit of manufacturers

Ignition switch already near its limit?

Dunno ? But I rigged up a relay that once energised fed it's own primary
so the foglight stayed on as long as the ignition was on. Ignition off,
foglight off, and needed to be switched on again. Made it impossible to
accidentally leave it on. (I frigged the foglight switch to remove the
lock, so it was just push-to-make ...)

That was 25 years ago ...

Thinking of modifying the behaviour of switches, my dad modified the
cigarette lighter (none of us smoke) so it make a simple latching switch.
And he wired it in series with the ignition switch as a crude anti-theft
device. This was in the 1970s. I imagine today's car thieves would find a
way round that :-( I remember he got my grandpa to turn a steel disc which
had the same profile as the cigarette lighter element so the contacts would
still hold it in the "in" position. He had to remember to reverse the
changes when he sold the car!