Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJH[_3_] AJH[_3_] is offline

Default Chainsaw issues...

On 20/05/2020 13:49, Tim+ wrote:
After I posted last night I suddenly thought €śWhen did I actually top up
the oil tank?€ť. Some time ago actually but Ive just checked it and its
half full despite quite a lot of recent chainsaw action.

Normal test is to stand with the saw tip a couple of inches off a clean
piece of wood and rev it for ten seconds, a black line of oily debris
should appear on the wood.

If not remove the bar and do the same while looking at the oiler hole in
the crankcase, oil should bubble out. If not then common problems are
sawdust in the pump intake or stripped plastic worm gear on the pump. If
pump works the oil gallery on bar needs cleaning.

NB running saw without bar and chain on on some saws, particularly
husqvarna, can result in the inertia of the clutch shoes spinning itself
off on overrun.

You normally notice a lack of oiling by the chain stopping too quickly
on overrun and dull cutter top plates.

As yours is a common problem from worn bar (which of course lack of oil
can cause) jamming in the cut check that there is no lip on the bar
which needs dressing with a file.

If the bar has a concavity just after the nose this normally points to
the drive sprocket being worn.