Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Chainsaw issues...

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , AJH
writes

Tim+ wrote:
In an effort to eke a bit more life out of my chains on my cheapo lidl
chainsaw I bought myself a Stihl 2in1 sharpener.
I think either Ive cocked up the sharpening or theres another
problem. If Im cutting with €śheel€ť of the chain closest to the
motor or with the
tip of the blade if produces good size shavings.Â* Cutting with the centre
of the bar starts off okay but when Im sawing logs the blade
seems to stop
cutting and just produces fine sawdust.Â* Moving the chainsaw in and
out to
use the €śheel€ť and the €śnose€ť enables me to carry on cutting
but obviously
its not right.

Oddly I only see Paul's response in this thread but it sounds like the
bar is a bit worn and your sharpening slightly uneven, the cut becomes
biaised to one side which cants the cutter over and the bar catches on
the edge of the kerf.

Easy enough to turn the bar over for a less worn slot. Concur on the
*too little lubrication* effect on domestic saws.

After I posted last night I suddenly thought €śWhen did I actually top up
the oil tank?€ť. Some time ago actually but Ive just checked it and its
half full despite quite a lot of recent chainsaw action.

I think I need to investigate the oiling issue as according to the manual,
some €śsplatter€ť should be evident in use and Ive never seen this.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls