Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MP3 files and sound quality

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

If the "normal" speech has a dynamic range of 10 to 20 db a
compressor set at 2:1 to 3:1 with around 6 dB of gain reduction
happening ought to work reasonably well.

Dave, since my previous reply I've sussed out the Audacity compressor (it
took me a shameful while to realise that the reduction was marked on the
display's horizontal axis rather than the vertical one). I've been trying
various settings and discovered that for the material I'm working with I
need rather more than 6 dB reduction: 20 dB appears to be nearer the mark.
That's if I want to retain a good contrast between the loudest and softest
passages.

I'll keep experimenting.

The Audacity compressor doesn't seem to work in the same way as the
analogue one I have. So experimenting is the only way.

With pro analogue compressors, you could usually just enter your favourite
settings for a given use, and expect it to be pretty well there.

Not really found a software one that acts in the same way.

--
*WOULD A FLY WITHOUT WINGS BE CALLED A WALK?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.