Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Why do we have modesty panels on desks?

On 20/05/2020 00:00, Xeno wrote:
On 20/5/20 8:14 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 06:51:02 +0100, Xeno
wrote:

On 19/5/20 9:41 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 00:32:49 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kt4xfmkwdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 18 May 2020 23:46:02 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kt3mvs8wdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 18 May 2020 22:40:21 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

Actually probably all desks need it for support.

No they don't with the ones with frame of welded square steel
tubing.

I was thinking of wooden desks.

Still wrong, most obviously with dining room tables.

Those are much sturdier and expensive than desks.

Steel tubing is only used in schools,

Wrong, as always.

Never seen it elsewhere.

since they get bashed about a lot.

A long piece of furniture needs some kind of support to keep
it at
right
angles.

Wrong with the ones with frame of welded square steel tubing.

I was thinking of wooden desks.

Still wrong, most obviously with dining room tables.

Those are much sturdier and expensive than desks.

Plenty of them arent.

Different design, the legs aren't on the ends.* Less unsupported
wood on
top.

Odd, most dining tables I have seen have legs at or near the ends and
the centre sections between legs are supported by beams.

Which are too expensive for desks.

???

Steel tubing is only used in schools,

Wrong, as always.

Never seen it elsewhere.

As always, you need to get out more.

And study desks?!

Against a wall most times.

The word study in my sentence was a verb.

It was an adjective in the sentence you presented.

since they get bashed about a lot.

Plenty of tables are done that way and even someone
as stupid as you should have noticed that few dining
room tables have modesty panels.

Not enough room in McDonalds.

But plenty of room in most dining rooms.

I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about a restaurant.
And not
everyone has a huge house.

Don't need a huge house to have a table you eat off.

Do to have "plenty of room".

Only in Scotland where, it would seem, you need to eat on the floor due
to a lack of space in Scottish houses.

The UK is very overcrowded.

Lots of desolate wasteland in Scotland. Move there and stop whinging!

Scotland is all desolate wasteland ....