Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw issues...

On 19/05/2020 22:27, Tim+ wrote:

In an effort to eke a bit more life out of my chains on my cheapo lidl
chainsaw I bought myself a Stihl 2in1 sharpener.

I think either Ive cocked up the sharpening or theres another problem.
If Im cutting with €śheel€ť of the chain closest to the motor or with the
tip of the blade if produces good size shavings. Cutting with the centre
of the bar starts off okay but when Im sawing logs the blade seems to stop
cutting and just produces fine sawdust. Moving the chainsaw in and out to
use the €śheel€ť and the €śnose€ť enables me to carry on cutting but obviously
its not right.

that does not make sense
As long as I am producing big fat chips I know my blade is sharp, and
if the oil is being used its oiling the blade. Check for blueing on the
teeth for overheating.

HOWEVER deep cuts on fat logs with small chainsaws often seem
problematic. I too occasionally have to give it less lentght to cut by
rocking the saw a bit.

As an aside, Ive never been convinced that the blade oiler is doing a good
enough job. Theres never been any oil splatter when revved and held
vertically over a piece of paper. The pump is pumping out oil though. I
can see it if I run the engine without the chain but the chain and bar get
very hot in use.

Could the bar be worn or in some way affecting the way the chain is
cutting?

Tim

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler