Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Chainsaw issues...

Tim+ wrote:
In an effort to eke a bit more life out of my chains on my cheapo lidl
chainsaw I bought myself a Stihl 2in1 sharpener.

I think either Ive cocked up the sharpening or theres another problem.
If Im cutting with €śheel€ť of the chain closest to the motor or with the
tip of the blade if produces good size shavings. Cutting with the centre
of the bar starts off okay but when Im sawing logs the blade seems to stop
cutting and just produces fine sawdust. Moving the chainsaw in and out to
use the €śheel€ť and the €śnose€ť enables me to carry on cutting but obviously
its not right.

As an aside, Ive never been convinced that the blade oiler is doing a good
enough job. Theres never been any oil splatter when revved and held
vertically over a piece of paper. The pump is pumping out oil though. I
can see it if I run the engine without the chain but the chain and bar get
very hot in use.

Could the bar be worn or in some way affecting the way the chain is
cutting?

Tim

There are at least two weights of chain oil.
Summer and Winter.

And, you adjust the tension as you cut. When
the device is cold, that's one setting, then lock
it. As it warms, the chain gets longer, and a
tension adjustment followed by locking it, may help.

With the small saws, keep the chain out of the dirt.
No flush cuts to soil level. That's really hard on the
chain. The chain "likes" soft wood.

Check out a video and make sure your chain is facing the
same way as the one in the picture. On the cutting link,
one part of the link is the depth gauge and prevents
the cutting link from taking too large a bite. The larger
part behind it, makes the bite. If the difference in height
between the two isn't correct, it will remove too much wood,
or (sawdust) too little wood. The replacement chain has
an instruction guide in the box, that includes the "depth",
which is 0.025 for my chain (on toy chainsaw). On the cutting
link, the nose is 0.025 below the cutting part that travels
behind it, according to the instructions in the replacement chain
box.

"How To Remove or Replace Electric Chainsaw Chain Quick and Easy" === Ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNW2cjAGxEQ

Paul