Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default HD TVs

On Tue, 19 May 2020 23:24:15 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

I have one here which is a 22" widescreen HD. I can easily see it's not
1080 lines, and not even 720 is very sharp. A slightly smaller computer
monitor (19") has 1200 lines and it needs them. Less than that is
awful.

Because its conversion from what it gets lines
wise and what it has lines wise is very poor.

Why would it need to convert?

Because there is no simple integer conversion between the lines
it has and what its given. If say its given 600 lines in your example,
it just puts each line its given on two of the lines on the screen.

If its given 720 or 1080 lines it cant do that.

I've fed it both 1080 lines and 720 lines from the PC and both are out of
focus.

See above.

So clearly the actual panel is neither of those numbers.

Correct.

Which is stupid seen as it's a TV and not a monitor. The native resolution should match at least one of the standard TV formats.

And the wall mount is indeed a piece of ****.

You were the one actually stupid enough to buy or use it.

It was free.

That's why I said use it, stupid.

What's stupid about using a free TV?

Mind you, I'm using it vertically rather than horizontally,

Typical.

He'd lost the table stand.

So you should have used a better one.

There wasn't one.