Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MP3 files and sound quality

On 19/05/2020 16:21, Bert Coules wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Standard approach for audio as with JPEG images is to keepÂ* all the
intermediate working files in some lossless format like FLAC.

Thanks.Â* On the subject of compression, the bulk of the files I'm
working with are m4a recordings of a male speaking voice and they have a
huge and impractical dynamic range.Â* I was resigned to going through
them (and there are a lot) manually adjusting the levels, but could
applying compression achieve a decent quality result?Â* I do need to
retainÂ* the clarity and unmuddyness they have at present.Â* I've very
little experience with compression of audio files and would be grateful
for any thoughts.

yes. that should work if you have a decent package.
Audacity is not bad for that

Thanks.

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell