Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MP3 files and sound quality

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

If you copy the file over and over, it'll retain the same quality, but
if you keep-re-encoding it, e.g. to mix in other channels each time,
you'll get gradually worse...

Thanks for that. I'm using a multichannel mixer (MixPad) so I can keep
all the components separate and just export the mix down to a single
file when I'm finished. But since many of the separate tracks are mp3
files the subsequent final mixdown does represent a first-generation dub
of many of them. But you confirm my suspicion that no deterioration is
involved.

In which case I'd say you will get some losses over the original MP3 file.
As to mix it with others means decoding and re-coding the final mix.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.