Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default MP3 files and sound quality

On 18/05/2020 20:20, Bert Coules wrote:
"DJC" wrote:

MP3 is lossy, the compression removes detail you can never recover.

Oh sure, I appreciate that.Â* But I was concerned about subsequent copies
mp3 - mp3.Â* Does the quality (compressed though it be) remain constant?

If you simply copy the file, then you will have an identical file in the
same way as copying any other digital file.

The only way you would introduce further quality loss is to in some way
re-encode it, transcode it, or reconvert an analogue capture etc.

For editing you need a lossless format, WAV or FLAC or €¦?

Some of the files I'm working with are m4a which isn't a format I was
familiar with.Â* Where do they stand in the quality hierarchy?Â* Better
than mp3?

Its a successor to MP3, generally better results for the same bit rate,
but still a "lossy" format.

--
Cheers,

John.