Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MP3 files and sound quality

No no no.
Every decode and encode of a lossy compression adds more losses.
If you want to edit mp3s then turn them into wav or flac files then you
will only have two generations of loss.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Perhaps only peripherally DIY but there's such a lot of computer expertise
here.

I was surprised today to see a reference to "a poor quality
fifth-generation mp3 file" - I thought that digital files (of whatever
format) reproduced exactly from generation to generation with no
deterioration at all. Am I mistaken? If mp3s do indeed get progressively
worse when repeatedly dubbed I'm going to have to rethink the audio
project I'm currently working on.

Thanks.