Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cpvh@o2.co.uk is offline

Default Laptop PSU - Cordless Hedge Trimmer

Most of these replies came in after the horse had bolted.

The battery is LiOn, the 19V laptop charger was nobbled by its manufacturer to only put out put a decent amount of milliamps if it can €œsee€ a Dell laptop.

Nearest I could get was a wall wart marked 12V which put out 16 and a bit volts both on and off load (battery has just 2 connectors). (The wall wart is a big beast and I suspect has a transformer, rectifier and a smoothing cap inside, the original was tiny).

I charged it for its 4 hours maximum charge, checking regularly that neither the wall wart nor battery were getting hot.

At the end of that, the battery output was nearly 17V (up from 15 and a bit..

The user reports that the hedge trimmer is working fine.

I suppose it might shorten the battery life, but hopefully nothing will go bang.