Posted to alt.home.repair
S N S N is offline

Default Interior French / Perimeter Drain on 1890s 3 flat with Stone Foundation

Hi Trader,
The situation is complicated- there are multiple issues that may lead to water. The basement is usually dry, but in rains I get damp circles on the concrete and wet spots along the walls. No actual puddles. In freak heavy rains 3-4 inches in a matter of hours- like we had yesterday I get over a foot of water. Now that is mostly due to city drain backup not allowing my ejector pump to get rid of water in the pit. The sewer line and grey water line are all old tile lines- so there are lots of areas for water and sewage to force its way out of when pressure is high. In conjunction with the perimeter system I am digging I will install an overhead sewer which will eliminate 2 of the 3 underground clay tile lines. I have to leave the line that goes from the catch basin to the street because it captures gutter and surface rain water and directs it to the sewer.
In regards to your question about "on top of footer". My footings go out beyond the rock foundation 3-4 inches on the side walls and almost 2 feel on the front and rear walls. Again this building is from 1890 and is 3 story brick- so the footings are substantial. I could easily place the pipe on top of the footing all the way around. That being said- I would prefer to have it deep so I am going to put it next to the footing. All videos I have watched on this recommend drilling seep holes into the foundation wall- almost every 3-4 inches to relieve pressure and release water inside the stone. That is why I asked- in heavy rains water runs into the holes I have dug in a steady stream- so there is a lot of water building up along the walls. I have significant spalling on the mortar joints and my brick face- so water is soaking up into the rock and brick. I would like to eliminate this.