Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default "Drywall"

On 17/5/20 1:05 am, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2020 7:51 AM, Xeno wrote:

Flathead galvanised Nails, the standard method of attaching plaster.
Nowadays they glue and nail. Some even use plasterboard screws.

You'd be hard pressed to find anybody nailing in the US these days...and
I suspect that's true virtually everywhere.* W/ metal studs, there's no
choice.

Very little on a percentage basis is glued...I don't recall that I've
ever seen it on walls; a rare few ceilings.

It was common here a couple of decades back when I had my kitchen done.
Possibly not now. The problem with screws on a reno is that the wall
studs in my old house were hardwood. That wood had become as hard as the
hobs of hell and screws wouldn't penetrate. Yes, only the ceiling was
glued AFAICR. The original was nailed with fibre & plaster laths
strapped over roof beams at strategic locations.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)