Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Fixing a loose patch on a lath & plaster ceiling...

On 16/05/2020 08:27, Jimk wrote:
I have a loose patch approx 2ft diameter on an overpapered lath &
hair plaster ceiling.

I can get to the rear of the laths (loft).

Does the prop it & pour on loose mix plaster method work?

I envisage hoovering out the back of the laths, wetting with a
spray, pouring on the plaster, move it around to try & get it
down & around the laths, leave to set, remove prop whilst
praying.

Any gotchas here?
Any top tips here? Ordinary plaster? Bonding agent? Scrim/mesh?

I would use a prop and a suitable size board to push it up from the
underside first.

From above, then give the whole area a liberal coat of neat SBR (or
slightly diluted PVA if you can't get SBR), then trowel over some wet
ish bonding plaster while the SBR is still wet. Leave it all to dry, and
it should be well and truly fixed. Scrim not required.

--
Cheers,

John.