Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Slider bar for bandsaw table

On 16/05/2020 06:12, wrote:
Hello all.

I bought a bandsaw a few months back and having used it for a few
jobs, it's a tool that I now wish I had bought years ago. Really
useful.

The table of the bandsaw has slots in it, running along the axis of
cutting.. A cutting angle jig that came with the bandsaw runs on an
aluminium extrusion that serves as a slider, captive in the slots of
the table.

I would like to get some of the aluminium extrusion slider material
to make my own, additional cutting guides/jigs. The problem is that I
cannot find the material online. Various T-nuts for machine table
slots are available, but I can't find a plain length of T-slot slider
bar. Is there a special name for the profile that fits machine table
slots, or can anyone recommend a place to look?

Some of the tool shops will do slider bars typically designed for 19mm
slots:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-...gripper+dk7055

Or kits of hardware for making your own:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+new-ar...rutlands+r8018

Having said that, you only need to make use of the Tee when you want
your jig to be captive. In most cases just having a plain bar that
matches the minor slot width is adequate for accurate tracking. On the
table saw I normally make mine out of strips of hardwood.

(many machines only have a plain slot anyway)

Alternatively you can use steel or ali strips of the right width, and
then "tune" the fit by centre punching the *top* of the strip near the
edges to peen out a small amount of material from the sides to make the
strip wider. (and a file or stone to make it narrower again)

--
Cheers,

John.