Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Battery fluorescent torch renovation

On Wed, 13 May 2020 16:59:59 +0100, ARW
wrote:

On 13/05/2020 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
I have an old battery (6 x D cells) torch which has a fluorescent
tube, a spotlight and a flashing light behind a red (plastic) glass.

The torch also has a DC power input of unspecified voltage which then
runs into some circuitry.

1) The battery compartment has got corrosion, half of a spring has
gone (there are two springs at the bottom, one for each set of 3
batteries), but there is continuity between the spring connections. I
plan to take a spring off a defunct 6v lantern battery to replace the
damaged spring. What would be the best way to fix it?

2) The fluorescent tube is a Sylvania White F6W/W which has probably
been superseded. 210mm x 16mm. Grey/black at one end. Is there
anyway to test if this works outside of the torch?

3) I've put a 9v supply into the torch and at least the spotlight
functions though nothing else. All the connections appear to be
accessible. What should I be measuring for the fluorescent tube?

Whilst this is one of numerous "Covid" projects I have on the go are
modern LED torches a better bet? Though I don't like the light from
my head torch or even any that I've put into lamps

https://www.screwfix.com/p/27862

Page not found.

But assuming you mean:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-...6w-212mm/27862

I'd first like to check whether the torch on the whole works and
putting a new tube in is likely to give me light.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?