Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another John Another John is offline

Default Binoculars: refurbish possible?

In article 2,
John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

Another John wrote in news:lalaw44-
:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/3...emblycleaning/

Cleaning any coated lens worries me!

Thanks John and also to Brian (who sounds like he's done this too!) --
the chap at the link above warns against the hazard you mention, and the
solution seems to be (as Brian indicated) to clean the prisms.

I haven't written off this job, but I've put it well down The List
(after repainting the garage floor, and for that matter cleaning the
budgie's cage out)! I would hate to ruin my binocs through my own
incompetence. It's not too expensive, these days, to get a pretty good
new pair, but I hate to see old things thrown out[1], and I would hate
even more to have been the person responsible for making that necessary!

Cheers
John

[1] Not that I would throw them out, of course: I would put the sad
little pile of bits into a box "in case they come in useful". To be
discovered in some years time, when my kids have to get the skip in ...