Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ford V8

On 12/05/2020 13:20, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 10 May 2020 22:05:06 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/05/2020 16:47, AJH wrote:
On 10/05/2020 15:49, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Saturday, 9 May 2020 16:22:34 UTC+1, JohnÂ* wrote:
On Sat, 09 May 2020 04:48:43 -0700, Weatherlawyer wrote:

How does the first Ford compare to the latest iteration, that is how
does the 1930's environmentalist compare to the 2020 version?

The original ford V8 engine was a side valve engine.

That's good to know. So how was the side valve replaced by a more
efficient high compression engine?
And why?

Once the block casting was sorted it wasn't a big step to put push rods
where the valve stems were and and OHV head on, this would have given an
immediate increase in compression ratio as the empty space the valves
previously opened into could be eliminated, and the relationship between
thermal conversion to power is a straight line with compression ratio.

What I don't understand isÂ* what, other than higher engine speeds, the
advantage of overhead cams give in relation to thermal efficiency?

Reduction in valve mass and spring tension required, plus improved gas
flow (inlet and outlet) since your manifold design does not need to be
compromised to avoid the pushrods. (its also supposed to be easier with
double overhead cams to implement 4 valves per cylinder)

--
Cheers,

John.

I am pretty sure this must be correct as the RR Kestrel was designed for that almost straight away.

The question then is: Why did they not build a diesel with all that Hi Tech going for them?

They would have got to Berlin immediately with diesel Gryphons, quite a lot of the way back as well probably.

"The output of the engine depends solely on the mass of air it can be made to consume efficiently" which would become in diesels a deciding factor of the war... if...

However Churchill surrounded himself with a Mediocracy, I can only presume as par for the course in his life, was intentional. With the inevitable design faults.

I love watching you post ignorant drivel.

Why didn't they go straight to jet engines?

Because it's not that easy.?

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith