Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Pulling or pushing a wheelbarrow?

wrote in message
On Saturday, 9 May 2020 14:00:25 UTC+1, NY wrote:

Given a wheelbarrow that has two wheels side by side (as opposed the
normal
"unicycle" ones), with a wraparound handle that is parallel with the axle
rather than the normal separate handles that are each perpendicular to
the
axle...

Is it better to pull or push a wheelbarrow, assuming that it is loaded so
as
much of the weight is over the axle, with a little more on the side
closer
to the handle. By "pull" I mean walking forwards, towing the barrow
behind
me with hands level with buttocks, not facing the barrow and walking
backwards!

Depends on the ground, the load & the wheel type. Try it & see.

With our barrow, over deep 1/2" gravel and over slightly bumpy grass,
pulling is definitely easier.

As for wheely bins, any attempt to push the bin over the gravel causes its
wheels to dig themselves deeper and deeper into the gravel. Likewise for the
lawnmower, which either needs to be pushed on its rear wheels, with the
front ones in the air, or else pulled.

The gravel is a confounded nuisance. It was already there when we bought the
house, put there by the previous owners. I've learned where the shallower
bits are, and that's where I try to take the mower when getting it from the
garage to the front grass verge.