Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default Log Cabin

I looked into the possibility to use a log cabin type garage when we replaced our garage. The thing that put me off was they sat on pressurised timber bearers directly on the concrete base which meant any slight undulations in the concrete was a potential leak point on exposed walls not to mention the potential over the long term for rot to take hold. Notably none of the €ślogs€ť were pressure treated relying on user applying treatments.

In the end we went for a framed and boarded garage. This sits on a single course of bricks and DPC so no timber is in contact with the ground the bottom board slightly over laps the brick course. All the timbers are pressure treated and any boards that do develop rot are easily replaced. The supplier Regency Timber Buildings, Wrexham were most helpful even supplying engineering drawings for building control due to the garage being over 30sq mts floor space.

Richard