Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Epoxy / adhesive for hard plastic (headphone hinge) ?

On Wed, 6 May 2020 05:20:38 -0500, amdx wrote:

For those interested in bonding polypropylene.
https://www.adhesivesmag.com/article...-polypropylene

Mikek

For those into something more mundane for polypropylene:
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/products/fix/super-glue/loctite_plasticsbondingsystem.html
"The activator primes hard-to-bond surfaces such as polypropylene
and polyethylene"

https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/henkel/TDS-681925-US-Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System-Carded-4-ml-2-g-2016-08-26pdf
Cyanoacrylate adhesive with Heptane solvent for surface preparation
(activator). I'm rather surprised that it works as most surface
activators (used to increase surface energy and therefore chemical
reactivity of low energy plastics) require elevated temperatures.

One big problem for me has been shelf life. I bought a few tubes of
the stuff from a local hardware store, only to find that it was near
the end of its shelf life. It died in the tube (unopened) a few
months later:
Shelf Life. From date of manufacture (unopened):
30 months Stored at 36-46°F
18 months Stored at 68°F

I suggest you check the self destruct date when buying:

Lot Code Explanation: #YDDDX Printed on crimped end on tube
# = Disregard
Y = Last digit of year of manufacture
DDD = Day of manufacture based on 365 days in a year
X = Disregard
Example: 6061 = 61st day of 2016 = March 2, 2016

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System-2g-Super-Glue-681925/100371829

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D