Doug Miller

Default electrician overcharged me!

In article e4Cqc.4691$zw.4@attbi_s01, "Snoop Drew" wrote:
I hired an electrician from the yellow pages to replace a faulty Ground
Fault Circuit Interruptor (GFCI) in the garage, and install two new ones in
the kitchen to bring it up to code.

The guy charged me $261 per GFCI, for a total of $783. He spent an hour to
do the job. I told him before I signed the work authorization that this
seemed expensive and asked about a discount but he just frowned. Is this
really a fair price?

No, it's not. Not even close. So why did you sign the work authorization if
you thought the price was too high?

Their yellow page ad reads "reasonable prices" and "complete professional &
reliable service" with "30 years experience!!"

I don't think someone who has 30 years of professional experience would say
that $783 is "reasonable" for installing three GFCI outlets, with no new
wires to be run.

It's not reasonable. I make the decision not to do business with companies
that charge unreasonable prices for their goods or services. You made the
decision to do business.

i have no one to blame but myself

Quite true.

but do i have any recourse?

Recourse for WHAT? You signed the authorization, knowing the price
*beforehand*.

Can't i just call the guy to complain and ask for a partial refund?

Of course you can. And he can tell you to go fly a kite.

Or can I really win in small claims?

Don't be ridiculous. On what possible basis do you have a claim against this
guy? He quoted you a price, and you AGREED to it.

If you take this to small claims court, you will lose. And you'll wind up
paying *his* legal fees in addition to your own. Depending on the laws of your
state, you might also open yourself up to civil or even criminal penalties for
filing a frivolous, baseless lawsuit.

yes, I deserve an award for stupidity and gullability

Yes, you do. And another one for chutzpah, for even dreaming that you might
have a basis for a small-claims action.

but i think there's a special place in hell for people like this...

Why? He quoted you a price. You agreed to it. Was someone holding a gun to
your head, forcing you to sign that work order?

Yes, you were cheated. But you had _full_knowledge_ that you were being
charged more than you wanted to pay, and sat there and watched it happen.
You've just paid your tuition at the School of Experience. Instead of blaming
the electrician, take responsibility for it yourself, make sure it doesn't
happen to you again -- and above all, be thankful that you only had to pay
seven hundred bucks for this lesson. What if you'd been having an air
conditioner installed, and paid seven *thousand* dollars for a job that should
have cost two?