Jim85CJ

Default electrician overcharged me!

I had a high price quoted to replace 4 but it was only something under
$200. I went and bought the replacement parts myself and did the work
myself.

Snoop Drew wrote:

I hired an electrician from the yellow pages to replace a faulty Ground
Fault Circuit Interruptor (GFCI) in the garage, and install two new ones in
the kitchen to bring it up to code.

The guy charged me $261 per GFCI, for a total of $783. He spent an hour to
do the job. I told him before I signed the work authorization that this
seemed expensive and asked about a discount but he just frowned. Is this
really a fair price?

Their yellow page ad reads "reasonable prices" and "complete professional &
reliable service" with "30 years experience!!"

I don't think someone who has 30 years of professional experience would say
that $783 is "reasonable" for installing three GFCI outlets, with no new
wires to be run.

i have no one to blame but myself, but do i have any recourse? Can't i just
call the guy to complain and ask for a partial refund? Or can I really win
in small claims?

yes, I deserve an award for stupidity and gullability, but i think there's a
special place in hell for people like this...