Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No spark (distributor question)

bandsaw and cutting. At home I've only used the reciprocating
saw (~sawzall) with a metal blade. (slow)

George H.
===============================

The nearly essential power tool for welding is an angle grinder. I have a
4-1/2" one for precision and control, and a 7" one for speed. A decent
quality 4-1/2" is a good start.
They grind or wire-brush through rust quickly and are the eraser for your
welding mistakes. They can slice steel free-hand with a cut-off blade, or
you can buy a holder that turns them into a small chop saw for better
accuracy. They soon pay back their cost in the clothing (and skin) that
wasn't ripped by rough cut edges and welds. They are quite versatile, mine
has cut concrete sewer pipe and smoothed a rough stone step.

A bandsaw is better for thicker steel like building a hydraulic log
splitter, abrasive disks are good for thinner metal such as EMT conduit or
corrugated roofing that could strip saw blade teeth. Both can cut 1/8" angle
iron or water pipe.