Steve

Default Found the right stuff

I found a paste in a tube, Thread sealer for PVC pipe. I took apart the one
connection I had made with plumbers putty and cleaned it all out. Now I'll
try the new stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

"RB" wrote in message
Plumber's putty isn't intended to be used on pipe threads.

Be careful when using pipe dope on PVC that the solvents in the pipe
dope don't soften the PVC pipe over time. Most pipe dopes are intended
to be used on copper, brass, or steel. They don't dissolve in organic
solvents, PVC does.

RB

Steve wrote:
Putting a pool filter together. When done with the teflon tape, about

8-10
windings, I get slight leaks where the PVC fitting threads into the

valve
housing also where the PVC threads into the pump. A hose came off and

the
pool drained to the skimmer level so I'm going to disasemble and redo

the
fittings.
I bought plumbers putty thinking it may work better???
The guy at the store said to roll it into a snake and wrap around the
threads. I didnt like that method so I worked it into the threads all

around
both the male and female threads. I assembled one fitting and pulled out

the
putty that was forced out while threading the peices together.

I have a couple of joints to go but was hoping for some expert advice on

the
proper/best way to make a water tight connection. I wont know if it

leaks
untill I fill the pool to the proper level and turn on the pump. Then

its to
late (or at least a pain) to fix.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Steve