Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default New network cable appears slower than powerline adapters...

On Mon, 4 May 2020 13:26:39 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

snip

I've got 3 more connectors in stock...

Yeahbut, when they go intermittent they (or the reason you are getting
'network issues') could be a PITA.

We will see.

You will indeed. ;-)

The only difference I can see between what I now have & what you
are pushing,

'What I'm pushing'? ICGAF if your network has issues as it's not mine.
You were also the one asking for help and presumably, haven't been
installing networks as a part of your living for 30+ years?

is one cable connector...

Exactly. !00% too many 'cable connectors' in any network segment.

They might be considered acceptable as a temporary measure, as part of
a test or to get you out of trouble, but not something I believe 'most
people' (that know what they are doing) would want to leave there if
they didn't have to (for technical [1] and reliability issues).

This would also apply to using Powerline or WiFi instead of Ethernet
cable.

If the CCTV feed was important and you missed something crucial
because of a bad (and undesirable in the first place) connector, you
too might see the issue?

Cheers, T i m

[1] In any Ethernet cable length (or twisted pair cable in general) I
you should have the *minimum* of cable that is untwisted as possible,
as seen when it's going though a plug and socket. When you join two
cables together as you have you have at least *doubled* the quantity
of the amount of parallel cable in the link. I'm not saying that will
stop it working, just that it's sub-optimal.