Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default New network cable appears slower than powerline adapters...

On 04/05/2020 10:58, wrote:
On Monday, 4 May 2020 10:22:38 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2020 21:53:20 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

snip

Higher speed use more than one pair of wires in a cable so they have to
be matched in length - one pair cannot be significantly longer because
the number of twists are different for instance.

Wouldn't *every* (Cat5e Ethernet cable in this case) have different
lengths per per because each pair *is* twisted differently?

eg, Wouldn't the pair with the most twists be longer than one with
fewer?

Yes.

John

CAT5 is generally tough as old boots. I bought a 30 metre (might
have been 20) patch cable and some old CaT5e, about 50 metres, that
had been stripped out of an office and it looked like someone had
driven over it in parts. Only cost £3 though for both

The patch cable worked at gigabit (according to the indicator
leds), do I chopped it up and crimped my own connectors.

Ditto the solid core CAT5E which is now fed around my house. All
seems fine according to the leds.

Only CAT6 is a pain to install in a domestic situation because
of the strict bending limitations which *theoretically* make
installation into a domestic wall box impossible.