Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Connecting polypipe to lead pipe

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I note that reference confirms my supposition that a fresh lead surface
leads to increased lead levels in the water. I note that lead free
solder may be permitted, but I look forwarded to hearing from anyone who
has successfully made a wiped joint with it.

You don't need a pretty wiped joint to join lead to copper. Merely a
decent seal between the two.

Simply running solder into the join would not have passed inspection for
a professional job.

Then you need an inspector who understands basic metallurgy.

I was going by old contract specifications (and before that bye-laws).

The solder had to be built up in layers to give
the thick "bandage" to guard against leaks. The wiping wasn't just to
make it look pretty.

Solder in layers isn't going to seal between layers.

I was wrong to say it /had/ to be in layers but I have seen it done with
successive pourings. It's all molten so I don't see why it would not seal.

Are you confusing it with plumber's metal?

Plumber's metal is solder.

--
Robin