Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default New network cable appears slower than powerline adapters...

On Sun, 3 May 2020 19:01:43 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sun, 3 May 2020 16:35:21 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

snip

Are these commercially made patch cables or home made?

A common mistake when making them at home is not putting the pairs on
the right pins and so the cables won't work over any distance.

Do you get any indication (LED (switch / device) or soft output 'Link
Speed, 1Gb') telling you you are running at Gb speeds and it's not
actually 100Mb (1/3rd of the theoretical max on yer PL adaptors)?

Patch cables are purchased.

Ok. Are they marked 'Cat5e' or similar OOI?

Only thing I can see on the (Netgear) switch is the port LEDs
appear blink faster when it's on the powerline adaptors.

Which would reflect your observations. Do you have a laptop you could
put on the remote end and see what it says re connection speed?

I haven't delved into the switch just plugged it in & it worked....

Understood, that is the norm with a basic (unmanaged) switch.

Turns out dodgy cable connector - sorted now.

Gdgd.

Do you intend replacing both leads with a single one at some time?
Personally I prefer to have a continuous piece of cable from end to
end (for the reason you have discovered).

Cheer, T i m