Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default New network cable appears slower than powerline adapters...

Two people and a socket with movable link or two people and a very long
continuity tester lead!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 3 May 2020 15:41:00 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
I bit the bullet & ran some network cables revently
to get away
from using power line plugs.
I had some long patch cables in stock so threaded those through.

One through a gigabit switch, serves 2 raspberry pis running cctv .

When connected by dlink300av powerline adaptors the data
throughput seems higher than the new cable, with smoother
playback of recorded events & no lag.

Switch to the cable & it's very different & slower.... I was
hoping it would be at least as good if not quicker?

(The cable is in reality two CAT5 patch cables joined with a
straight through connector. Initially with a moderately priced
cat6 labelled connector it didn't work, with a cheapo but still
called cat6 connector it does, sort of, see above).

Next steps to resolve please?
TIA

Check that all eight conductors are present and connected. Some
patch cables only have two pairs fitted and will only operate at
100Mbit/s. Similarly, a broken conductor may cause the connection
to operate at 100Mbit/s.
John

Any way to check that without taking them out again?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/