xrongor

Default What's a torque wrench?

"Java Man (Espressopithecus)" wrote in message
ble.net...
In article ,
says...
I replaced a blade on my lawn mower, and I was trying to tighten the

bolt to
spec, which is between 400 and 600 ft lbs. Well, I set my torque wrench

500 ft lbs, and I was hoping to hear the "click" that tells me I got to
destination.

That sounds very high to me. If your torque wrench had a 2 foot
handle (which I doubt) it would take 250 lb. of force to get 500 ft.
lb. of torque.

Are you sure it isn't 500 INCH pounds??

it must be. even the nut on the back axle of a volkswagon is only like 180
foot pounds or something and you need serious power tools or a 10' steel rod
to get that.

randy