Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimk Jimk is offline

Default New network cable appears slower than powerline adapters...

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2020 15:40, Jimk wrote:
I bit the bullet & ran some network cables revently
to get away
from using power line plugs.
I had some long patch cables in stock so threaded those through.

One through a gigabit switch, serves 2 raspberry pis running cctv .

When connected by dlink300av powerline adaptors the data
throughput seems higher than the new cable, with smoother
playback of recorded events & no lag.

Switch to the cable & it's very different & slower.... I was
hoping it would be at least as good if not quicker?

(The cable is in reality two CAT5 patch cables joined with a
straight through connector. Initially with a moderately priced
cat6 labelled connector it didn't work, with a cheapo but still
called cat6 connector it does, sort of, see above).

Next steps to resolve please?

My guess was that you that the AV300 devices were getting real world
throughput of 200Mbps or better, and now you have gone to ethernet, but
for whatever reason it has fallen back to 100Mbps operation.

This would normally be as a result of a caballing issue - either not all
4 pairs properly connected, or, the pairs have been split incorrectly.

Start with a visual inspection of the connectors to verify the proper
wire ordering. Compare with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568#Wiring

(the B variant is the more common I find)

If all look good, then buzz out each connection with a multimeter.

Note also that most network switches will give and indication of the
speed of the device conected to any port - either with a separate
"gigabit" LED, or changing the colour of the "connected" LED (typically
from amber for 100Mbps, to green for gigabit)

Now that would have slowed me down a bit!

Sorted - dodgy cable connector.

Cheers
--
Jimk