Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car battery charging current.

On Sunday, 3 May 2020 07:23:49 UTC+1, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
tabbypurr posted
On Saturday, 2 May 2020 17:52:41 UTC+1, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Fredxx posted

There is very little literature on battery charging, of when a charging
device might switch from constant current to constant voltage at
different initial charging currents.

My car battery charger, bought second-hand forty years ago for 0 just packed up. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement? Doesn't
have to be portable, just plug into the mains and recharge a flat car or
lawnmower battery. Preferably for the same sort of price I paid for the
last one ...

Yes. Any modern car battery charger will work. All there is to choose
is cheapos versus high MTTF ones, £12 versus £40+.

I might fix the old one.

The metal enclosure is riveted together so I can't open it up. Anyway

A drill bit would remove those in no time.

IMLE the failure mode for devices based on a transformer is nearly
always shorting or burning out of the windings which can't be fixed.

It can be any of the parts, including just a bad connection.

NT