Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimk Jimk is offline

Default New network cable appears slower than powerline adapters...

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sun, 3 May 2020 15:40:55 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

I bit the bullet & ran some network cables revently to get away
from using power line plugs.
I had some long patch cables in stock so threaded those through.

One through a gigabit switch, serves 2 raspberry pis running cctv .

When connected by dlink300av powerline adaptors the data
throughput seems higher than the new cable, with smoother
playback of recorded events & no lag.

Switch to the cable & it's very different & slower.... I was
hoping it would be at least as good if not quicker?

(The cable is in reality two CAT5 patch cables joined with a
straight through connector. Initially with a moderately priced
cat6 labelled connector it didn't work, with a cheapo but still
called cat6 connector it does, sort of, see above).

Next steps to resolve please?

Are these commercially made patch cables or home made?

A common mistake when making them at home is not putting the pairs on
the right pins and so the cables won't work over any distance.

Do you get any indication (LED (switch / device) or soft output 'Link
Speed, 1Gb') telling you you are running at Gb speeds and it's not
actually 100Mb (1/3rd of the theoretical max on yer PL adaptors)?

Cheers, T i m

Patch cables are purchased.

Only thing I can see on the (Netgear) switch is the port LEDs
appear blink faster when it's on the powerline adaptors.

I haven't delved into the switch just plugged it in & it worked....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/