Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Car battery charging current.

On Saturday, 2 May 2020 11:29:48 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Given many of us won't be driving much for the moment, did wonder just how
hard an alternator charges a battery after a cold start. In amps - given
virtually no car has an ammeter these days. I know you can buy clamp
meters, but they're not accurate at low current on DC, so when I've needed
to measure things on the car, just use a DVM, as 10 amps is enough for
most. And don't want to buy one just for this. ;-)

So assuming a good battery with enough charge to start the car. Voltage on
charge 14.4v No other load than engine electrics.

Obviously the charge current will taper down as the battery charges.

Depends on the state of charge of the battery.