Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car battery charging current.

Given many of us won't be driving much for the moment, did wonder just how
hard an alternator charges a battery after a cold start. In amps - given
virtually no car has an ammeter these days. I know you can buy clamp
meters, but they're not accurate at low current on DC, so when I've needed
to measure things on the car, just use a DVM, as 10 amps is enough for
most. And don't want to buy one just for this. ;-)

So assuming a good battery with enough charge to start the car. Voltage on
charge 14.4v No other load than engine electrics.

Obviously the charge current will taper down as the battery charges.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.